Skip to main content

How do you know if you’ve settled?

This one is easy.  Passion, fire, drive, intensity, gratification, pleasure, satisfaction:  if you rarely hear, see, use or feel these words (or synonyms) – you’ve settled. 

Do you know what it means to settle?  Do you understand all that the act implies, including its ramifications?  Let me enlighten you and show you a little tough love.

Settling programs your mind to accept less than the best, to desire for fewer things and ultimately to deteriorate your personal value and worth.   By settling, you are telling yourself that you are not worth what you desire, so instead you will take what is available or left over.    Do not be mislead, there are a number of ways you could be settling and receiving less than the best. 

Anytime you deny yourself pleasures you are settling.  Choosing a job that’s available instead of a career that’s desirable is settling.  Staying in a relationship that’s average at best, instead of seeking love that blows your mind is settling (and yes, mind-blowing love does exist, so stop trying to convince yourself otherwise, so you won’t feel bad that you don’t have it.)  If you don’t have butterflies in your stomach or giddiness and excitement about something worthwhile, you’re definitely settling.  Settling is not like scraping to get by.  Sometimes you can be doing very well in life and still be settling.  Just because you have something good doesn’t mean you are living to your fullest.  There are better things out there for you.  You may not have a desire for more material things or prestige, but there should be a driving force in you that propels your life.  Otherwise, what are you here for? 


Perhaps you don’t think settling is all that bad.  Besides, there is plenty to be thankful for and things are moving along without much friction.  Well, look at it like this:

There is a huge mansion with many floors and a beautiful winding stairwell that stretches all the way to the top.  Each floor is filled with treasures; every floor more treasures than the last.  There are so many levels that the top floor isn’t even in sight.    However, there are no elevators.  The only way to get to the next level is by personal effort and exercise.  As you can imagine, the lower levels are more crowded.  With every passing floor, fewer and fewer continue up the massive stairwell to get to the next level. 

The first few levels are simple treasures like food, shelter, warmth.  A few more flights – health, security, income.  A little higher still are peace, companionship, knowledge.

Affluence, prestige, power are floors less inhabited.  As well as the floors that hold victory, triumph and abundance.  Why?  Too many of us are settling for the basics in life. 
God is always looking for someone to join him on the next level.  There are so many treasures in our Father’s house that they spill out to the Kingdom of Darkness.  You know those people that you see having it all, living it up but are rotten and sour.  You shouldn’t feel jealousy, you should feel entitlement.  Those are your treasures!  They are enjoying your goodies. 

You think having a house, car and a steady paycheck on level 6 is all you’ll ever get out of life.  You don’t see God waiting to bless your business on level 8 or God restoring your marriage on level 10.  You don’t even see him heal your body of that ailment on level 12 – that’s right, your healing is a treasure in your Father’s house.   If you haven’t received all the promises of God, it’s because you haven’t gotten to that particular floor yet.  Keep going, it’s there.  Don’t be lazy.  I know the stairwell looks daunting but I assure you there are rewards at every step.  It’s almost as if God leads us with bread crumbs, dropping little treasures to entice our progress until He can get us to the level He needs us to be on.  Stop settling.  You are not doing yourself any favors by giving up now.  The treasures are already there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol