Skip to main content

Why does God do it? Why does God put up with us?

We are some of the worst friends, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters.  We're so cynical and skeptical, that if someone is being "too nice" to us, we get suspicious that they want something from us.  We ask, "why is this person being so nice? I wonder what she wants?"  We can't fathom that someone would be extremely nice to us without having some type of agenda.  I think a lot of us look at God with that same sideways skepticism.

Like, okay, so He sent His son to die on a cross for my sins, so that I might be saved.  And all He wants from me is to accept His salvation and allow Him to come into my heart?

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved.  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:4.  Whew!  That's a lot to take in, even for me, and I'm saved by that grace.

Even I read about the riches of my inheritance and think, 'Really, God, all that for me?  You love me that much? You did all of this work of reconciling me back to yourself, showing kindness to me in Christ Jesus, for your good pleasure?'  It's hard to believe.  And perhaps, we don't connect with God, because we can't relate to that kind of love.  We don't understand that we can reject someone, and they would love us anyway.  Since we don't operate in that kind of love, we find it hard to believe that what God offers is real.  Stranger yet, this love cannot be earned.  It can only be freely received.  Scratching my head.  But just because God is beyond our understanding, doesn't mean He has to be beyond our accepting.

Remember when you were a kid and you'd ask your parents if you could go somewhere with your friends, and your mom or dad told you, 'No!'  And when you'd ask, 'why not,' she/he would tell you, 'Because I said so.'  Period.  And that was the end of it.  That was the entire explanation.  And if you pushed for more answers, you would surely not like the outcome.  You didn't understand it, but you had to accept it.  So, here you are, 15 years later, still wanting an answer as to 'why' from a Heavenly Father, too good to be true, too kind to be believable, too merciful to be understood.  But the response has not changed. 'Because I said so,' declares God.  Now accept it.

Why does God put up with us? Why, as we reject Him and refuse to accept Him into our lives, does He persist?  Simply because He loves us.  You may not know that kind of love in your relationships today.  You may not be familiar with a love that great.  But it looks like this...Christ stretched out on a cross.  And this love is very, very real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol