Skip to main content

Mic Check

 

1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.   And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.”

2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.  Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.  Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”

 

I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.  What a wonderful time we had.  And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.  I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.  My dad only rarely, and I mean very rarely, would attend.  It had to be some grand event, or funeral to get him to step foot in the church. So, growing up, through the years, we would ask him why he didn’t attend church. As I got older, and understood the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I had began to ask with greater understanding of the benefit of salvation, ‘Dad, why don’t you go to church?  Are you saved?  Do you believe in God?  I can’t remember his answers throughout the years, but there was always some ambiguity in his responses that never left me assured that I would see my dad in heaven. 

Well, on this particular day, as we conversed on the phone, discussing freely the cares and worries on our hearts, I asked him again.  “Dad, are you saved?”  Again, his answer seemed ambiguous.  With a tender voice I asked, “Do you believe in Jesus?” “Yes,” he replied.  Yet there was still a question mark to his tone.  “Would you be okay if I prayed with you the believers prayer?” “YES.”  And with a willing and open heart, my dad and I prayed together for his salvation.  I can’t recall the actual words I said.  I can only remember the feeling I had when we were done.  I didn’t wonder anymore if my dad was going to be alright, or about his relationship with Christ.  I knew that God had him in His hands.  And that all those years of going to church and developing my relationship with God had a hand in ensuring that the man I loved so dearly, and so wonderfully had finally become part of my eternal family, forever. 

Over the years, I have seen such a heart change in my dad.  He still cusses like a sailor, and is passionate about sports and his home.  He still has his strong and vibrant personality and fortitude.  However, he is so much more than that.  He is gentle and understanding, full of patience and kindness.  He is a dedicated husband and generous giver.  He is quite incredible.  I am flattering now, but also speaking the truth.  I didn’t get a chance to say all of this before our friends and family.  I recoil at the missed opportunity to speak so boldly as to what God can do when He gets his hands on an individual – no matter how stubborn that person may be.  It’s uncomfortable to talk like this about my dad, who is alive and well?! It feels like I’m writing a eulogy, which I’m not – Lord, grant him many more years, too numerous to count, Amen.  I’m writing about the scripture that says to be ready and be prepared, at any time, to share the Good News of the Gospel.  I wasn’t ready.  I felt like I was on the mic too long, I didn’t want to take too much time at the party.  But scripture says, “whether the time is favorable or not,” which means even if you think, “now is not a good time,” or, “I’m at work, it isn’t appropriate to talk about faith at work,” or, “I’m standing in line at the grocery store, this clerk doesn’t want to hear about Jesus,” or, “it would be so uncomfortable for me to bring up Jesus right now.”  Don’t make the same mistake I did and think that you’ve had the floor too long, or that the timing is not right.  It’s not about us.  It’s not about our comfort or understanding of the situation.  Be ready.  I know that I will get many more opportunities to share the Gospel.  I’ve already prayed about it.  Oops God, I missed that one, throw me another one!  He will.  But maybe there was someone there that day that needed to hear my story and missed out because I didn’t tell it. Ouch.  So, I’m encouraging you to act when the Holy Spirit pulls on your heart strings to say something or do something that may seem uncomfortable or out of your character norm.  Do it.  Say it.  Take the floor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol