Skip to main content

What is God calling you to do?

I think of how empowered I am and how lost I am, all at the same time.  I read the Scriptures and I think, "Wow, how God loves me.  How incredible I must be to Him.  How awesome are His ways and His thoughts toward me."  And this being true.  I look up from the page and I'm like, okay, so now what do I do?  I'm housing all this magnificence inside me.  The power of Christ resurrected lives in me.  I am effective and unproductive, all at once.  At times, overwhelmed by my calling, yet disappointed by my progress.  I ask, "Lord, what would you have me do right now, in this moment?"  I've asked a million times before.  And I feel like I keep getting the same answer:  Write.



The murkiness sets in.  Well, I am.  I have a blog and I write when I can.  I also have bills to pay and a family to take care of.  Surely, you must also require me to work?!  Again, my thoughts are conflicted and my actions divided.  How can I get anywhere like this?  How can I gain any momentum, always confused?  Confusion turns into frustration; frustration employs idleness, and I feel the enemy is winning.   And only by user error, not because he has the power to win.  The enemy takes the win by forfeit, because I didn't show up to the field, because I got lost en route to the fight. I lose due to lack of focus.  Which way did he go, George? 



Oh, the patience of God.  Do you know how many times I've been here?  Round and round this same mountain?  Too many to count.  Lord, give me a sign.  Ok, a different sign.  Ok, a clearer sign.  



Have you already been told what you should be doing?  Has the Lord spoken to you about what changes He'd like you to make?  The direction He'd like you to go?  Is there a theme that continues to pop up in your life that you keep dismissing?  Perhaps you have as much clarity as you need but you lack the courage to take the first step in that direction.  Apparently, it's not going to change.  You can keep asking God to lead you and guide you, but his plans for your life will not change because you keep asking, hoping you'll hear something more acceptable this time.



I've had so many jobs 'mon.  And I've worked in so many industries.  Today, I surrendered my hopes and dreams to God, and asked the Lord to guide me and help me.  What do you really want me to do?  His answer is the same it's been since I was 12 years old: Write. 



I hope this encourages you to listen to what the Lord is prompting you to do.  He loves you and only wants the best for you.  Trust Him.  And by all means, don't wait 15 years like I did, hoping for a different response.




References:
Psalm 139
Romans 11:33-36
Galatians 2:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol