Skip to main content

New Scriptures, New Prayers

Unless you're exercising on a treadmill, most people don't like to run in place.  No one desires to exhaust themselves to no end, only to look up and be in the same predicament you were when you started out; to be in the same mess time and time again. Yet there are some people who pray the same prayers and read the same few scriptures all their life.  And their lives show the stagnancy of their prayers.  Now, I have some oldies but goodies myself, but I've come to realize that God has written a whole book to be digested and not just picked through.  He's laid out a buffet and you keep eating that same ol' spaghetti.

Memorize a new verse.  Read a new chapter.  Venture to some part of the bible that you have never read before.  Even if you have read all of the bible, there are some parts that you haven't spent as much time in - meditate on that.

Put a new prayer in your heart.  Ask God for something new.  This is not a materialistic exercise where we're asking God for a new car, new house, new job, etc.  If you need those things, by all means, but if you've been praying that, then try a new prayer.  Trust, He heard you.  Pray for a breakthrough in a strained relationship.  Pray for gratitude in a less than ideal situation.  Pray for a fun, fresh, outlook in your marriage.  Pray for a more playful relationship with your kids.  Pray for a sassy, bold outlook on your life.  We don't have to limit God to just nouns - people, places, and things.

I've picked Colossians 3 - the entire chapter to focus on.  And I'm delighted in my choice. There is so much richness in this chapter.  And I'm writing new prayers for my meal time (I've been saying the same food prayer since I was 15).  For bedtime, for my family, for my ministry, for my business.

Get off the treadmill and move forward with God. He is progressive and he is full of richness if we seek him there.  I'd love to hear about your new prayers.  Comment below and share what new prayers and new scriptures you've chosen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Expecting the blessing to be the Blesser

For lack of a better word and to prevent a miscommunication of the main concept, Blesser : refers to the Almighty God – Creator of Heaven and Earth; omnipotent and ever-present and powerful Being.   Blessing : refers to everything and every one God has ever placed in your life to increase your value and to provide you fulfillment.     Blessings are all around us. They take many shapes and forms.   Blessings flow from the Blesser.   Your spouse is a blessing.   Yet sometimes you may expect him to be your God.   You may be expecting your spouse to perform duties only God can perform for you.   You may be expecting your spouse to fill a void, an emptiness you feel when only the Blesser can satisfy those requests.   There is no wonder why there is so much strain on our relationships.   Do not be confused on where your provisions are truly coming from.   Your job is a blessing.   Whatever way you are being provided for economica...

Woe to the Complacent

Amos 6:1-7 is a call to action for the blessed, full, contented individuals of the time.  During this time there were some who lived incredibly rich and abundant lives, while others were extremely poor.  Kind of like today, isn't it?  The Lord said, there will always be the poor among us.  Knowing that, I'm not sure he was looking to fix the economic imbalance, but more so fix our internal dispositions.  The Lord desires us to take care of one another.  He desires the fortunate to consider the unfortunate.  He desires the haves to look after the have nots.  He is pleased when the wealthy take care of the poor. The thought behind it is simple.  If you can, you should.  Giving keeps us from becoming greedy, insatiable people.  I often find myself saying "But I barely have..." and the Lord corrects me.  "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25. My pastor, Josh Teis, in his...

Let's Get Fired Up

Today, I woke up tired of the same ol', same ol'.  I get very rebellious when I feel like I'm running on the "hampster" wheel.  Some people do retail therapy, some people pull the covers over their head and stay in bed, when they don't want to deal with this world.  I like to set a bomb off in my life and see where things lie when the dust settles.  That's what happened the last time I felt like this.  I woke up one Tuesday morning and instead of driving to my job at UCLA Health in Santa Monica, California, I kept driving down the 10 Freeway until I reached Las Vegas, Nevada.  The best way I could describe what happened was that I felt like I was suffocating, and I had to make some space in my life, so I could breathe again.  Well, that's fine when you're young, unmarried, and no children.  That is not okay when you're hitched and you have little ones looking up to you.  So, how do I get the same effect of creating space in my life, when ...