Skip to main content

#GOALS


I just want to be there already!  I want the dream house, the dream career, the dream car, the dream family, the dream body, the dream situation.  I feel like I’m always working toward something and on something.  Certainly, I’ve seen massive growth in my life, but there are so many more things, I still want to have in place already.  If you’ve been working out daily and watching your food intake and counting calories, you see your goal in the distance – the goal weight (still not reached).  If only I can lose (X) amount of pounds, then I’ll be in the best shape of my life.  Even if you’re working in a great career, “If only I can get (X) position, then I’ll be set.  If you’re trying to find the room in your 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, for those extra items, you may be daydreaming of that home with the perfect storage space, that has the office you’ve always wanted, so you can finally start that business you’ve always dreamed of.  Oh no, this bucket has stopped on me for the last time!  If only I could get a new (X) car, I wouldn’t have to deal with this piece of junk.  Perhaps you love your family, but you always wanted to have a girl or a boy.  Or you’re single and still looking for that perfect mate to enjoy life with.  You glance to your left and your right and it seems like someone else is always enjoying what you long for.  And you’re not unhappy, entirely.  You are on the right path, you are getting there and you are seeing progress.  But sometimes, you just want to be there already!!



I know the feeling.  We all feel it, in some way or another.  Even if your particular issue wasn’t listed, we all have this sense of things not fully being exactly how we want them.  That’s our insatiable flesh.  That feeling will never go away, not in this society.  Not with the incessant push and pull of sensory overload that tells us we have not arrived yet.  We are not enough.  We don’t have enough.  We can never settle. YOLO.  Think Big. Aim High.  Shoot for the stars, land in the clouds.  Bigger is Better.  Supersize.  Bonus.  Winning.  Be the best.  WHOA!!! Don’t get me wrong, I’m a competitive individual.  I played competitive sports most of my life, and I play to win – always.  The name of my dad’s softball team that we played on was “Hard to Beat,” and yes, we were.  So, I understand this push, whether it comes from something internal or external to always be striving for something better.  If you have a family, and God bless you if you are doing it alone, you probably wake in the middle of the night thinking, “What else can I be doing?  Am I doing all I can?  I know you.  I’ve talked to you.  I have some of you in my family.  Some of you are my closest friends.   I wish I could give you a big hug and tell you to just breathe, God has you in the palm of your hand.  But as soon as I hug you, you would probably feel my anxious heart beating just as fast as yours!  Whoops.  I guess I need to comfort myself too.  When all else fails to calm me down, I grab a glass of wine and force myself to sit and enjoy it.  Jesus did provide miraculous wine to the party.  (I’m just saying). 



Can we psych ourselves out?  I’VE MADE IT!  I’m exactly where I need to be and where I should be.  My life is wonderful and perfect.  Come on – say it out loud with me: I’VE FINALLY ARRIVED.  I’VE MADE IT!!  Scream it: THANK YOU JESUS FOR MY MANY BLESSINGS!



Congratulations.  How does it feel to be one of the few who’ve made it?  It feels great, actually.  Disclaimer: If you didn’t say it out loud and scream it, you probably still feel like a loser.  Here’s why…you can’t even say it to yourself.  I’m not talking about a law of attraction, I’m talking facts. 

Fact #1: “The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord, and he delights in every detail of their lives.” Psalm 37:23 (NLT)

Hello…God is delighted with every detail of your life – You’ve made it!



Fact #2:  “You feed them from the abundance of your own house, letting them drink from your rivers of delight.”  Psalm 36:8

Wow God…No need to be anxious about where my supply is coming from – Thank you Jesus for my many blessings.


Fact #3: “I look up to the mountains – does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord, who made the heavens and the earth! He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep.  Indeed, he who watches over Israel never tires nor sleeps.  The Lord himself watches over you!  The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.  The sun will not hurt you by day, nor the moon at night.  The Lord keeps you from all evil and preserves your life. The Lord watches over you as you come and go, both now and forever.”  Psalm 121.

So I even have personal security 24/7 – I’ve arrived.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol