Skip to main content

In Relationship with God

     God is not far off, in some distant land, ruling the world detached and unmoved by his people.  He is a prayer away.  Closer than a phone call.  We don’t even have to pick the phone up or log in to Facebook and send a message.  We simply can open our mouths are He hears us (Isaiah 38:5).
He cares about the things that we care about – being healthy, paying bills on time, doing well on our jobs, having loving relationships and being filled with joy, living stress and worry free (Psalms 56:22).

I know the promises of God and when I think about Jesus, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude, but that isn’t the state I live in.  I read something the other day that said, ‘Christians are just not committed and that’s why they are not getting anything done.’  I was shocked by the statement, but not surprised.  I had to ask myself, “Am I committed?” 

I wake up in the morning and I’m bombarded with all kinds of thoughts – things I want to get done, even things I don’t want to get done.  I try to make my coffee and grab my Bible to read a few scriptures before the day gets really going.  At some point in the afternoon, I’ll try to read my Bible App and get in another few minutes with the Word.  I’ll shoot a couple quick, “thank you Lord,” “Hallelujah,” “God is good,” shout outs during the day; and a prayer at night when I go to bed; Church on many Sundays – not all; giving a few dollars to the needy I see on the streets, most times.  However, I still didn’t feel committed.  I’m leaving something to be desired, something left on the table. 

What would a committed relationship to God look like?  For many who are married, you can think of the relationship you have with your spouse and compare the difference.  How much time do you spend with your wife?  How many times in the day do you talk to your husband?  Would you be okay with seeing him once a week on Sunday for 3 hours only?  (Please don’t answer that).  If we could spend more time lying in each other’s arms and whispering ‘I love you,’ as we held each other tight, the cares of the day would just melt away.  It’s romantic and maybe far-fetched if you feel your relationship has lost that spark, but wouldn’t it be nice.  Or maybe you and your honey like to enjoy going out to eat at fancy restaurants, or playing a game of Scrabble in front of the TV.  That time would be so precious, so invaluable to your love affair. 

I know it sucks, but we have to get up earlier, stay up later, steal away during the day more, set aside the time at night and press through the demands of life to kindle that spark with a God who “longs to be gracious to you, and rises to show you compassion” (Isaiah 30:18).

The Word is bursting with love messages from our Lord.  He’s so ready to be everything we need.  Crack open a Bible and drop read and you’ll see no matter where you land, God has a message of love to you.  He wants to be in a committed relationship with his people.  I’ll do it now…

Ezekiel 6: OK, not quite what I was expecting, but get caught cheating and see what your spouse has to say to you about that.
Nehemiah 8:10 – Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve for the joy of the Lord is your strength.  
Luke 12:22 – Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.  Life is more than food and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens, they do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them.


We really can go treasure hunting in the Word of God.  It is full of Scriptures that will enrich our lives.  There is so much more available than what is listed here.  Just know that God wants to be in a committed relationship with you so He can love on you.  There isn’t anything you can ask that He isn’t able to provide.  So, “taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol