Skip to main content

Look Straight Ahead


My first decision has to be trust, then faith…loud, colorful faith.  It seems to be the only way for me.  I’m no mistake and God created me just the way he wanted me. He knew I wouldn’t be able to stay in those jobs.  He knew I wouldn’t be able to stay in those relationships.  He knew I wouldn’t be able to stay in that city.  So, why now, looking over my life, do I feel like I’ve missed the mark?   When God in his infinite wisdom knows exactly who he’s dealing with and loves me.  Heaven has smiled on me and God has made no mistake.  Here I am, here and now.  And yes, for such a time as this. 


And what time is this?  I know this is a time of great activity and productivity.  I know that there has never been an easier time to connect with people all over the world.  To get in front of people you want to get in front of and have your voice heard.  To be seen on whatever scale you wanted visibility.  To get involved in living life out loud.  And there has never been a time when there was so much noise.  So many voices that deciphering which one to listen to is decided in a matter of seconds, swipes and clicks.  Physical appearance is the qualification for an audience.  Marriage is declining.  Blended families are expected.  Pop culture and the media have become professional screamers and arguers. Friends are digital.  Loneliness is rampant.  The mother gets no respect and has the biggest job ahead of her, often parenting alone.  She can’t scream, she can’t leave, she feels overwhelmed.  She does her best. He does his best.  But we’re all either falling short of our own expectations or society’s.  Or either so full of ourselves that we can’t see that we’re the problem.  Take your pick.  We’re in a constant comparison fishbowl.  Everything’s distorted.  Everyone’s looking to the left or right and no one is paying attention to the road in front of them.  And in front of us is eternal life.  That’s right.  #YOLO is incorrect.


My husband thinks I talk about death and dying too much.  I don’t think I do, but I also don’t think it’s a bad thing to keep in mind, that tomorrow isn’t always going to be tomorrow.  Psalm 90:12 teaches us to “number our days, so that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”  I am not speaking doom and gloom.  To the contrary, I am promoting life and love and the pursuit of all that your hard work can bring you.  Have you and God discussed what He wants for you?  Has he shown you great and wondrous things in store for you?  If he hasn’t yet, go to Him in prayer and ask Him to show you what He has in store for you for such a time as this.  And get in agreement with Him on what to focus on right now.  I enjoy social media just as much as the next person.  But I also understand the benefit of a quiet mind, unburdened by the constant comparison fishbowl.  “Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.  Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.  Do not swerve to the right or to the left; keep your foot from evil.”  Proverbs 4:25.  I know God wasn’t talking about Facebook here, but He certainly wanted to remind us to pay attention to what’s in front of us - understanding that we are easily distracted. God knew that #YOLT …You Only Live Twice wouldn’t have as much of a ring to it.


If you don’t have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, may I suggest you introduce yourself to him and begin a conversation.  Nothing too serious, keep it first date light, but reach out to him and let him know you’re interested in getting to know him better.  I suspect that for some people, you haven’t been able to identify what that tug on your heart is…but it’s a gnawing feeling like something is missing.  I gather with all you’re getting from life, there are still moments of emptiness and uneasiness about something.  The truth is, you were created with a gaping hole that only God can fill.  You can ignore it, drown it, and reject it, but it will be there. Because there is nothing that satisfies like God.  I am no mistake, and neither are you.  You are alive because God wanted you here.  And He wanted you now.  Every detail of your life is just right for him to receive you and approve of you.  Jesus is the only mark you have to hit in this life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha