Skip to main content

What are you hoping for?

I came for a short visit to Inglewood, California to see my family and offer my assistance in a family project at my parent's house this weekend.  I didn't bring my percolator, so off to Starbucks I went to get some much needed coffee.  California is a beautiful place and the weather is always nice, so I walked to Starbucks  It's only one mile away and that's a great way to get some sun and some exercise, all at once.  

As I was walking down the street, I felt an air of dreams deferred, a bit of staleness, and a sense of "is this all there is?"  Now, I know there will always be dreamers and believers, movers and shakers, but I couldn't help but notice the look of hopelessness on the faces that I passed by.  I noticed the homes with unkempt lawns and the cars that needed washing.  As we get older and our priorities change, I understand that what was once important may fade in the shadows of more pressing issues.  I know that having the latest Jordan's (if that's still a thing) gives way to having the best mattress for optimal sleep.  

Listen, I'm not sure what you may be dealing with today.  I'm not sure what curve ball life has thrown you, but can I encourage you to look up and have hope?  Yes, I know things are not ideal and you'd rather be healed and whole.  But can I let you know that hope heals a downcast soul.  This medicine that we have in the Word is a powerful balm.  I encourage you to curl up with your Bible and look in the back under "Hope," and lean into those scriptures.  "But where then is my hope? Can anyone find it? No, my hope will go down with me to the grave.  We will rest together in the dust!"  Job 14:15.

"May integrity and honesty protect me for I put my hope in you" Psalm 25:21.  "And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you" Psalm 38:7.  "But I will keep on hoping for you to help me; I will praise you more and more" Psalm 71:14.  
 
Hope looks a lot like care.  Where there is hope, there is effort in maintenance and care.  I'm not saying that mowing your lawn, or washing your car, is the answer to all life's conundrums, but I can say with certainty that mowed is better than not mowed, and clean is better than dirty.  Let's just start there.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol