Skip to main content

Start with Expectancy - Stay in Expectancy

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…Ephesians 3:20



Do you ever wake up in the morning feeling, blah!  Feeling like you’re just going through the motions with no real sense of joy, excitement or expectancy.  You feel like today is going to be just another same ole, same ole day.  It actually makes you linger in bed a little longer because you don’t really have anything that’s pushing you to get up and greet the day.  That’s what today was like for me.



Without sounding dismissive about the blessings God is filling my life with, I’m not saying my feelings are valid. I’m just saying that’s what I felt.  I have a lot to be thankful for and I see God all around me, but this morning it took some prompting, praying and reading my Word to get my mind back on the right track.  As I was making coffee, my husband asked me, “Is everything alright?”  He noticed the lackadaisicalness with which I was attacking my morning.  I gave the usual response that everything was fine, because everything really was.  5 seconds later, I blurt out, “I’m not expecting anything.  I feel like I should be expecting something.  I should be hoping for something.”  I reached for my Word, as is the case when I need immediate relief and change in mood.  I opened up to Deuteronomy 31:8 and my husband read it aloud, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”



And there it was, like it always is: the answer.  I’m not expecting anything because I’m not trying for anything.  The Lord doesn’t have to go before you, if you’re not going anywhere.  The verse implies someone who is surging ahead into unchartered territory.  You might be getting ready to ask for that promotion or gearing up for a presentation in front of a potential client. You may be getting ready for that job interview.  Whatever it is, God is with you and wants you to surge boldly ahead.  He will never leave you nor forsake you.  You might be going into your third round of chemo therapy.  You might be heading to that dreaded parent teacher conference or that divorce hearing.  Yes, life can be very crappy sometimes.  Lift your head high, my friend.  Expect God to show up for you and show out.  If the report has been negative before, it can be easy to believe it will be negative again.  It may feel hopeless to get out of the hole that has been dug.  Go boldly forth anyway and expect a miraculous outcome.  Do not be discouraged.  Do not be afraid.  Do not be afraid to hope again.  Do not be discouraged that the breakthrough hasn’t happened yet.  Start in expectancy and stay in expectancy.  It’s better than living in the ‘blahs.’ 



I’m going to reach out to some publishers and see which one would be interested in putting out my first book.  Let’s go Lord – You go first!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Expecting the blessing to be the Blesser

For lack of a better word and to prevent a miscommunication of the main concept, Blesser : refers to the Almighty God – Creator of Heaven and Earth; omnipotent and ever-present and powerful Being.   Blessing : refers to everything and every one God has ever placed in your life to increase your value and to provide you fulfillment.     Blessings are all around us. They take many shapes and forms.   Blessings flow from the Blesser.   Your spouse is a blessing.   Yet sometimes you may expect him to be your God.   You may be expecting your spouse to perform duties only God can perform for you.   You may be expecting your spouse to fill a void, an emptiness you feel when only the Blesser can satisfy those requests.   There is no wonder why there is so much strain on our relationships.   Do not be confused on where your provisions are truly coming from.   Your job is a blessing.   Whatever way you are being provided for economica...

Woe to the Complacent

Amos 6:1-7 is a call to action for the blessed, full, contented individuals of the time.  During this time there were some who lived incredibly rich and abundant lives, while others were extremely poor.  Kind of like today, isn't it?  The Lord said, there will always be the poor among us.  Knowing that, I'm not sure he was looking to fix the economic imbalance, but more so fix our internal dispositions.  The Lord desires us to take care of one another.  He desires the fortunate to consider the unfortunate.  He desires the haves to look after the have nots.  He is pleased when the wealthy take care of the poor. The thought behind it is simple.  If you can, you should.  Giving keeps us from becoming greedy, insatiable people.  I often find myself saying "But I barely have..." and the Lord corrects me.  "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25. My pastor, Josh Teis, in his...

Let's Get Fired Up

Today, I woke up tired of the same ol', same ol'.  I get very rebellious when I feel like I'm running on the "hampster" wheel.  Some people do retail therapy, some people pull the covers over their head and stay in bed, when they don't want to deal with this world.  I like to set a bomb off in my life and see where things lie when the dust settles.  That's what happened the last time I felt like this.  I woke up one Tuesday morning and instead of driving to my job at UCLA Health in Santa Monica, California, I kept driving down the 10 Freeway until I reached Las Vegas, Nevada.  The best way I could describe what happened was that I felt like I was suffocating, and I had to make some space in my life, so I could breathe again.  Well, that's fine when you're young, unmarried, and no children.  That is not okay when you're hitched and you have little ones looking up to you.  So, how do I get the same effect of creating space in my life, when ...