Skip to main content

Stop Rushing - You Can Miss Your Blessing

God's Wisdom:  This is what the Holy Spirit lead me to write down after an encounter with a nice older lady in the building.  I was going to check the mail, when she steps from around the corner and asked me where the clubhouse was.  I pointed around the corner, but said, "It's closed on Sundays.  You can still get to the gym if you want though."  Then she asked about our gate to the community.  "How come some people can wave at the gate and get in, and I have to put in a code?"  I explained that if you live here, you should have a gate key for quick access.  As I continued to chat with her, I found out that she was staying in an Air bnb in our complex and rented it out for a month while looking for a home to buy.  She was from California.  As a Realtor, I jumped right on that and asked  if she was working with anyone already.  She said 'Yes', but was so delighted with me and my conversation, that we talked for an additional 5 minutes.  Though I didn't get a new client, I received something that will bring me many clients - AFFLUENT PEOPLE HAVE SPACE IN THEIR LIVES, BREATHING ROOM.  They have time for that random conversation at the coffee shop or in the grocery store.  They have the time to connect with people and spark up conversations that potentially lead to opportunities.


Why is this important to understand?  If we are rushing all the time, how can we meet a new client organically at the park?  Could it be, the very thing we are praying for couldn't get one minute of our time because we never even bothered to look up from our phone?  It was there, we missed it.  As we cram so much into our day, thinking we are being "more productive," God is saying to us, "I have answered your prayers, but you won't even pause for a minute to see that I have." 


Stop rushing through life thinking, 'I'm killing this to-do list.'  The only thing you are killing is your under-nourished soul.  Not only do we have to trust God to bring good things into our lives, we also have to create space/room to receive them. Will you slow down enough to let God give you your heart's desires?  Psalm 23:6 says, "Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."  Goodness and love are following us! Wow!  Can we slow down to let it catch up? 


God sets divine appointments.  Stay close to Him and there is no opportunity that'll pass you by.  He'll make sure you meet that special woman or man.  He'll make sure the right candidate for the job comes along.  He'll make sure the right opportunity presents itself right when you need it.  He orders our steps and delights in every detail of  our lives.  With all the planning and running around, I doubt I could ever out-produce God.  Spinning my wheels in Real Estate, I may be able to talk to 10 people today and introduce myself, and ask for their business.  And maybe, I get one serious client from all that. But God, can cause me to be in line at the grocery store behind a person looking to sell their home but can't seem to find a Realtor they'd like to work with.  What?!?  Here I am!  All my toiling is for nothing.  The Bible says, in Psalm 127, "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.  Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.  In vain, you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat, for while they sleep he provides for those he loves." 


Friend, this is not a call to be lazy, sit back and do nothing.  There are plenty of verses in the Bible that tells you a lazy person wants much, but acquires nothing.  No, this is a reminder of where your blessings truly come from.  Don't lose sleep thinking, 'How am I going to make this happen?'  You don't make anything happen.  Let that fact sink in and put you at ease.  Let it give you freedom from worry and despair.  God is, was, and always will be ordering your steps.  Psalm 33:10 states, "The Lord foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples.  But the  plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations."  Make room for Him to deposit something wonderful in your life, to answer your prayer, to get you closer to what He has for you.  Wake up earlier so you're not rushing to and from.  Plan time to do things and give it some breathing room for the Breather of Life to do something magnificent with that occasion.  How much richer our lives would be if they were filled with a bunch of divine appointments.


Memorize: Psalm 34:8-10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check

  1 Peter 3: 15 “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.    And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.” 2 Timothy 4 “Preach the word of God.   Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.   Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.”   I missed an opportunity to preach the Good News at my father’s 70 th birthday party with all our friends and family gathered together to celebrate my dad.   What a wonderful time we had.   And I was holding the mic and recounted an early childhood memory but I had also planned to speak about a time when my dad and I were on the phone and having a deep conversation about life and some loved ones who had passed away. It was a difficult time and it seemed we had lost too many friends and family members one right after the other.   I grew up in the church, thanks to my mom’s dedication to get my brother and I there, whether we wanted to go or not.   My dad only r

The Woman I'm Meant To Be

Sometimes I’m really hard on myself.   There is a disparity between where I am and where I want to be.   I’ll never be perfect, and that’s never been my burden.   I’ve always wanted to do my best.   And I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction when I’ve given my best effort.   When you know you’ve left it all out on the field, when you’ve given it your all, when you’ve fought till your last breath.   There is a sense of peace when you live there, and I want to live there more often than not. Living there requires passion.   That’s where some get lost.   Not knowing what their passion is.   To give your all, there has to be something that you care enough about that you’ll exhaust yourself, staying up late to get it done.   You’ll wake up early to get closer to achieving it.   There isn’t anything easy about it, except loving it.   So, that’s what drives you to keep pressing toward it.   As the apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:13, “Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hol

On Marriage and Family

A strong family is the backbone to a thriving society.   And I was shaped by a strong family.   My mother and father have been married for 38 years and counting and I grew up in the same home all of my life.   I consider my upbringing to have been very sheltered compared to many, but I never felt like I missed out on anything.    I have numerous happy memories and some sad ones too.   I've made my fair share of really bad decisions in life, but I ultimately feel equipped to be able to get through this thing called life.   Why is this important?   Well, the fabric and culture of our society is moving farther away from traditional family households.  We are less and less concerned about who is raising our children.   We are increasingly concerned about how we look physically, and not even on the health of our bodies (which might be okay) but just the shape of them.   We are increasingly sexifying our generation and the ones to come.   We are more concerned about going viral tha